I bake savoury pastries for almost every potluck party I attend. It’s such an easy-to-make dish and it impresses everyone! This recipe knocks it out of the park every single time I bake it.
You can make your own puff pastry but if you’re feeling lazy and looking for a great plant-based solution, try 7 Days Bake It which is completely free of animal products. Each package has two 425g puff pastry sheets, the pastry can be used for sweet or savoury baked goods, and if you keep it in the freezer it can last for a few months.
It’s important to remember that puff pastry melts easily and once that happens it’s almost impossible to work with the dough, so whatever you choose to put in/on your pastry, make sure the ingredients and the dough are cold.
To learn more, visit www.veggibitch.com
Follow on social media @veggibitch (all platforms)
Intro/outro music by: https://www.instagram.com/konradsoundfreqs
Music by PIR (Royalty-Free and Licensed)
Sound Effects by GarageBand and PIR
Vegan Savoury Pastries
- Cutting Board
- 1 Sheet (425G) Puff Pastry Dough Cold
- 3 Cups Mashed Potatoes Cold
- 1 Small Onion Chopped
- 1 Small Zucchini Grated
- 1 Cup A mix of fresh spinach and mint Chopped
- Dried Rosemary
- Sesame/poppy seeds and/or Zaatar.
- Peel and cut the potatoes (3-4) and boil them in a pot of water till soften. Drain the water and mash the potatoes into a smooth consistency. Place in the fridge to chill.
- Grate the zucchini, chop onion and spinach/mint. Place in the fridge.
- Evenly spread the mashed potatoes and the rest of the ingredients on one puff pastry sheet, season with salt and dried rosemary, then roll it into a roulade and place in the freezer for about two hours (it shouldn't be frozen solid.)
- Once the roulade is firm slice it as thin or as thick as you like. Place on a baking sheet on a pan and sprinkle sesame, poppy seed or zaatar on top (no need for egg brush.)
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees (F) and bake for about 30+ minutes. If your slices are thick, you may need to bake them for longer - make sure the dough on the inside of each pastry is fully baked.
- Serve warm with dipping sauce (or on its own.)